What is idp.generic?
You get to see the IDP generic virus when an Identity Protection detection component in your antivirus detects the infection. Whenever your system files behave like malware or a suspicious file. The antivirus program labels it as a threat. As a result, you get to see the idp.generic error. You may wonder what is idp?
Should you ignore it?
Whenever you get to see such errors from an antivirus program, you should not think of ignoring it. IDP generic is a false threat, and you have to walk extra miles to confirm that it is really a threat to your computer.
And there are two ways that you can do so. First of all, you can use another antivirus program and see if you are still getting the issue or not. Or you can submit the infected file to Virustotal.com website. This one is a site that analyzes malicious files. And by using this online tool, you will be able to know whether it is a threat or not.
If by trying both of the methods, you see no errors, then you better ignore the IDP generic issue. Or you can use the below steps to fix it:
How to Fix idp.generic Error?
Update Your Antivirus:
One of the first things that you can do is updating your Antivirus program. The IDP.Generic is a well known issue in Antivirus programs like AVG and Avast. And the simplest way to get rid of this error is to use the latest version of the antivirus program. Also, to do so, you can simply update your Antivirus program by following these steps:
1. First of all, launch the Avast Antivirus application.
2. Then go to the menu bar and open settings.
3. Now you will have to click on the “Update” button and download the update.
4. After that, your antivirus program will automatically install the updates.
5. Lastly, restart your computer and check if you are still getting the same idp.generic error or not.
As mentioned earlier, the program commonly happens with the Avast antivirus. So even after updating your antivirus, if you are still getting the same error. Then, it would be the best idea to change the antivirus software and see if it fixes the problem or not.
To help you to choose an antivirus program, here are some suggestions:
- Malwarebytes: Malwarebytes is one of the best antivirus programs. And it can protect you from malware, ransomware, malicious website. As well as it can dodge most of the advanced online threats.
- Kaspersky Anti Virus: I am pretty sure you already know about Kaspersky Anti Virus. As it is one of the most popular one available out there. Kaspersky can protect you from all kind of viruses and online threats.
- Advanced SystemCare: In the end, you can try out the Advanced SystemCare. The best part of the software is that it comes with quite a lot of optimization tools. Along with that, you will get an uninstaller, one-click registry fixes, defragmenters and much more.
Another fix that you can try out is the VirusTotal. It is a utility tool which can help you to analyze suspicious files and URLs on your computer. As well as it can help you with quicker detection of viruses, Trojans, worms, and all different kinds of malware programs.
1. So go ahead and download and install the software on your computer.
2. Once you are done installing the software, launch it.
3. After that, click on the browse button and copy paste the following lines into the name field:
- C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe.Then click on “Open”.
4. After that, you will have to select the option “Send File” icon which can be found at the bottom of the page.
5. Just in case if you get a message saying that the file has already been submitted. Then click on the “Reanalyze” option.
6. Then let the scanning process get completed.
In the end, to fix the idp.generic error, you can update Java. Java is one of the common reasons behind this error. And you can update Java to fix it.
Usually, the older versions of the software tend to have more vulnerabilities that malware programs or software can use to infect your computer. However, you can stay away from all these errors and by updating the software. And to do so, you have to follow these steps:
1. First of all, you will have to download the latest version of the Java Runtime Environment. For this, go to Oracle’s website after that, go to the option that says “Java SE 7 Update 5” and select the option “Download JRE”.
2. Also, you will need to download the “Windows x86 Offline” file on your computer.
3. Now go to the start, settings, and control panel.
4. After that, select Add/Remove Programs and remove all the older versions of Java.
5. After that reboot your computer to uninstall Java completely from your computer.
6. In the end, install the file that you have downloaded and see if you are still getting the same error or not.